background

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Be Prepared

How fitting this week's assignment was! After a heartbreaking election, I had a dooms-day feeling about where our economy, country, and society was headed. This week we studied Matthew 23-24, Mark 13, Luke 21, and JS-Matthew. The reading was all centered on Christ teaching His followers to be prepared for what was to come in their lives and also before the 2nd coming. To simplify the reading, this is what Jesus councils the believers to do:
  • Watch out for people who will deceive and betray you
  • Watch for the signs of the times
  • Watch and pray
These are all things that our current Church leaders council us to do. Here are a few more scripture references for things to do to prepare to meet our Savior:
  • D&C 87:8- Stand in holy places
  • JS-Matthew 1:32- Watch for the abomination of desolation (BD, when "Jerusalem again will be under siege")
  • JS-M 1:37- Study/treasure the scriptures
  • JS-M 1:46-50- Watch, prepare, be faithful, and be "doing"
  • D&C 33:17- Be faithful, pray always, be prepared
  • D&C 45:56-57- Receive the truth, keep Holy Spirit as your guide
As I studied the lesson this week, I couldn't shake the fear in the pit of my stomach about what our nation and/or family is going to face. The scripture about if you are prepared, you shall not fear, popped into my mind. I decided to be proactive and look at the unprepared aspects of  my life. One was getting COMPLETELY out of debt, which we are currently working on with a SNOWBALL effect set up (found in the Ensign a year or so ago). The next area was in our food storage and emergency preparedness. I decided to go BIG! I made a huge list of what we would need and want and them went through and inventoried my entire stock pile! We decided to set aside $20 each week to spend strictly on food storage. Then I will go each week and buy what items I need and fill in the holes! I'm only a little excited about this...I love lists and checking them off!!(nerd alert). We have a family of 4 and 2 of those are kiddos under 3. So it will change over time, but in my minds eye, when we have it complete, it will be glorious! It does feel so good to be prepared! Another important thing to know and do, is how to have your own garden, and how to bottle food. I love to do canning each year, and this has really been a blessing in my life. I look around at our society and the majority would have no idea. How sad for them in their time of need, when Wal-Mart runs out of food, or they cannot travel to a store. Another thing I kept in mind were things I could add to my storage for trade or profit if things went south...so look at your skills and prepare for those too. I hope this encourages you to begin and just get going with it! Post tips in the comments box! (I would share my template for my list, but I have no idea how to link that...any tips?)

No comments: