background

Friday, November 2, 2012

Little Points to Ponder



This week our reading was on Luke 16-18 and it was packed full of parables! I dug through them and found some great principles to live by. 1) was on the "children of light" Luke 16:1-12 and in there I found that we need to keep an eternal perspective and make our decisions in life accordingly. 2)  Luke 16:19-31 and it was about Lazarus the Leper and the rich man. This one really struck a cord with me and I learned something new!! (I love learning new things about the gospel!) I never realized that before the Savior died and entered into the spirit world, that there was a gulf between the spirit prison and spirit paradise. When Christ went into the spirit world, he opened the way and bridged the two places so that they could now inter-mingle and missionary work could be performed. He gave us a way to save our deceased loved ones and I am so grateful for that!
    

3) Luke 17:11-19 was about the 10 lepers who were healed and only one returned. Two principles I found were that we receive no witness until after the trial of our faith (they had to leave and show obedience before they were healed) and that Christ was no respecter of persons; all were to receive the blessings of the gospel (the one who turned back to thank Him was a Samaritan). 4) Luke 18:1-8 was the parable of the unjust judge. The principle I took away from it was that we should be all the more willing to go to God in prayer, knowing that He is loving and merciful, if even a wicked man can hear and grant petitions (the unjust judge). 5) Luke 18:9-14 is the parable of the Pharisee and publican. One principle I found was that our self-righteousness will not save us, but we will be saved according to our humility and keeping the commandments. I'm grateful for the scriptures and how they help us to be better by reminding us of the ways of God.

No comments: